Monday, September 24, 2012

End of an Era



Our youngest son was accepted into the Oklahoma State Trooper academy in March.  He graduated this past August and a week later moved to Tulsa where he has been assigned for the next year.  He also is getting married to his high school sweetheart in November – which will mean that all four of our children will finally be married and out of our home.  In the past when a child had been gone from home for an extended period of time, their room stayed the same – always ready for their return.  Now, we are going through things our youngest child didn’t take with him and probably won’t ever need again and we are entering a stage of life I haven’t really thought about all that much – the empty nest!  So, after 32 years of kids and all of their activities and interests and the fullness of life wrapped up in the word FAMILY – it’s just us.  I was talking to my daughter the other day about this and her reply was “Oh mom, now you can finally do all of those projects you’ve always wanted to do.”  Except next to impacting the world by raising the next generation of mankind - projects just seem kind of - ordinary.   Important, Extraordinary, Meaningful, Eternal, Life-changing, Joy-giving, Soul-satisfying, Love-deepening, Inspiring, Creative, Investment, Growth, Purposeful, Divine – being a mom has been the most amazing journey and nothing will ever quite be the same or measure up!  And, motherhood has changed me – the endless days and weeks and months of four children passing around illnesses taught me endurance; the long days of caring for small children - changing countless diapers, tying shoes, wiping noses and tears, cleaning up messes - taught me contentment; sleepless nights taught me to be grateful; dealing with disobedience and rebellion taught me to pray; personality conflicts taught me acceptance and compassion; tight budgets taught me acceptance and creativity; seeing who I was on a regular basis – a not very lovely me - taught me humbleness; and circumstances beyond my control have taught me unconditional love and hope.  My children grew up – and – who knew that in the process so would I!  And along the way, we gained four of the best friends we will ever have.
I have loved being a mom, even though it is by the far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.  I am so thankful for the Someone who loves me more than I could ever begin to know and is proud of me and has been alongside of me, helping me every step of the way of this journey.  He understood and understands the struggles I have faced both emotionally and physically but accepts and delights in me filling my heart with hope - no matter what life brings my way - including the shadowy autumn of life and - the empty nest! 
Isaiah 40:29-31
He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.
Even youths will become weak and tired,
and young men will fall in exhaustion.
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.

Philippians 4:19
And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.
John 3:16



1 comment:

  1. Beautifully expressed, Bonnie. You are a mom extraordinaire! May you be abundantly blessed in this new season of your life!!

    ReplyDelete